(VIA NBC10) In a story that is becoming all to common this summer, another mother was found to have left her child inside of her SUV outside of the Wal-Mart on Franklin Mills Boulevard. Just last week we detailed the heroic story of a 3 year old who was able to save an elderly man locked inside of his car, and the dangers of automotive heat stroke. Needless to say, it is never safe to leave your child unattended in a vehicle, especially in the summer. In just a matter of minutes the temperature inside of a locked vehicle can reach dangerous levels, so no matter how fast the trip will be, always bring your child with you.
Luckily for this family, a passerby saw the child locked inside of the vehicle and called police. By the time that police and medical personnel had arrived on the scene, the mother had returned to the vehicle. The mother of the 6-week-old was taken in by police for questioning and after examination, the child was released to his father. Fortunately in this case the child was not harmed, but it is always important to remember to bring your child with you whenever you exit your vehicle. Below you can find a list of preventative tips that will help you to always remember when your child is in the back seat of your car.
Tips to Avoid Leaving Your Child in the Car
One of the best recommendations that we have at Phila-Locksmith is to put your cell phone with your child in their car seat. Not only will you remember to grab your child since you will have to get your phone from the car seat, but you can avoid using your cell phone on the road, which is illegal in the city of Philadelphia. Putting your cell phone in your child’s car seat is a perfect way to kill two birds with one stone. There are also companies which offer products that give you a notification anytime you have strayed too far from your child. These products attach to your child’s clothing and another sensor is on a bracelet the parent car wear. When this is used in a car, the parent would be warned as soon as they walked away from the car that their child was still inside.
It is always a bad idea to leave your child in a vehicle unattended. Many of the incidents of vehicular heat stroke that are occur and are reported by news happen when a parent claims that they forgot their child in the backseat. Unfortunately there are still plenty of parents out there who think it is alright to leave a child in the car, even if just running inside of the store for a second. While sometimes parents may be able to get away with a quick run into the store, it only takes one time for tragedy to strike.